ST JAMES COLLEGE OF NURSING
General rules and regulations for employees of SJCON
1) Duties and responsibilities will be separately intimated to each employee.
2) Employee service is liable for termination with one-month notice or salary in lieu of notice on either side after confirmation.
3) Each employee shall submit the following documents at the time of joining.
4) Self attested copies of certificates in proof of age, qualification, experience etc. (you shall produce the originals for verification)
Retirement age shall be 55 years if you are continued in service till then.
5) Employee shall not engage or involve in any other service or take up any employment or business either honorary or for remuneration during the period of your service with us.
6) Employee shall not involve in any matter or conduct yourself in any manner, which may tarnish the image and reputation of the institution or its authorities.
7) Employee shall abide by the rules and regulations of this institution regarding conduct, behavior, discipline etc.
8)Violation of clauses 6 & 7 or any misconduct will render you liable for dismissal from service without any notice.
9) The reporting channel of the employee shall be decided from time to time
10) College and clinical hour: Monday to Saturday: 8am to 4pm
Office hours: Monday to Saturday: 8.30am to 5.00pm; Library hours: 8.00am to 8.00pm
11) Dress code for staff
- Every male teaching faculty is expected wear full or half sleeve shirt to be tucked inside the pant along with lab coat.
- Every male office staff is demanded to wear shirt to be tucked inside the pant.
- Every female teaching staff is expected to wear saree and blouse along with lab coat.
- Every female office staff is demanded to wear saree and blouse.
- Every female library staff is demanded to wear saree and blouse.
- It is expected to wear minimum ornaments.
- Every female housekeeping staff is demanded to wear uniform churidar without side slit along with sandals or half shoes.
- It is expected to wear minimum ornaments.
- Every staff (teaching and nonteaching) is stipulated to wear college ID card with in the college premises
Code of conduct for Principal
- The Principal should oversee and monitor the administration of the academic programme and general administration of the Institute to ensure efficiency and effectiveness in the overall administrative tasks and assignments.
- The Principal should work as admission authority for the Institute to implement admission process as per prescribed norms
- The Principal should make strategic plan for overall academic development
- The Principalshould discuss and approve financial estimates, annual reports, accounts and audit reports time to time with the concerned authority.
- The Principal has authority to take all the necessary actions as and when required to maintain discipline in the Institute.
- The Principal should form various college level committees which are necessaryfor the development of the Institute
- The Principal should encourage Teaching Staff to update their knowledge by attending seminars/workshops/conference.
- The Principal should provide leadership, direction and co-ordination within the Institute
- The Principal should periodically review this Code of Conduct.
- As it deems necessary to ensure that this Code of Conduct conforms to applicable Laws, to meets or exceeds Institute standards and any weaknesses
- The Principal should convene meetings of any of the authorities, bodies or committees, as and when required.
- The Principal should ensure that quality in education and clinical practices is maintained for continuous improvement and turn the students into better individuals and responsible citizens of the country.
- The Principal should forward performance appraisal report of all Teaching Staff members of the Institute and submit it to the Management.
Code of conduct for teachers of SJCON
- Whereas, it is the responsibility of every teacher to advance and disseminate knowledge through his /her professional activities; Whereas, a teacher should always try to give his/her best to the students and to the institution; Whereas, a teacher should always adhere to honest dealing and fair play
- The teacher shall perform the academic duties assigned to him / her in accordance with the rules.
- The teacher shall not victimize and discriminate against students, colleagues and other staff.
- The teacher shall not raise question of caste, creed, religion, race or sex in his / her relationships with students, colleagues and other staff, with a view to furthering one’s prospects.
- The teacher shall not indulge or encourage any form of malpractice connected with examinations or any other university activity.
- The teacher shall not remain absent from college without leave or without the previous permission of the Principal of the College.
- The teacher shall not accept any job of a remunerative character from any source other than the College or giving private tuition to any student or other person or engaging himself in any business.
- The teacher will be on probation for an initial period of one year from the date of joining.
- The period of probation is liable to be extended further and you will continue to be on probation until confirmed in writing.
- During the period of probation, if your work, health, conducts or efficiency is found not satisfactory, your service is liable to be terminated at any time without notice.
Code of conduct for students
- Life in the College must be inspired by unity, mutual trust and co-operation among the management, staff and students.
- Every student must make it a part of her personal duty to attend classes daily and punctually.
- Students are expected to be in class at the first bell and begin the day by reciting the common prayer.
Rules and Regulations College of Nursing
- The college of nursing always follows the rules and regulations for achieving the best academic performance and maintains a harmonious work environment.
- Every working day of the college starts with prayer.
- All students will assemble at the portico as soon as the bell rings followed by prayer and a motivational note by the principal.
College and clinical hours:
- Monday to Saturday: 8am to 4pm
- Monday to Saturday:8am to 8pm.
- During the working days, students are expected to use the library at 4-5 pm.
- Monday to Saturday: 8.30am to 4pm/ 9am-5pm
Maintenance of discipline and good conduct by students
All students must abide by the college rules of conduct and discipline & must bear the following points: –
- Students are expected to be punctual and regular.
- Use of mobile phones are strictly prohibited in the campus.
- Uniform and dress code must be strictly followed in the college campus and in the clinical.
- Leggings, miniskirts, short tops, sleeveless and deep necklines will not be allowed.
- Students are not permitted to wear fancy ear rings, rings, bangles, short chains and anklets while on clinical posting.
- Girls must put up their hair neatly. Nails should be cut short and are not allowed to use nail polish.
- ID Card must be worn while in campus/Hospital/Field visit/Community postings.
- Speaking in English is compulsory in the college campus.
- Impoliteness to staff and indecency in words and act will be strictly handled.
- Any damage caused to the property of the college or other students must be reported to the principal and the student will have to be compensated for the same.
- Scribbling on walls/ furniture etc are strictly forbidden.
- College premises must be kept clean and tidy.
- Ragging is strictly prohibited. Any student, if found guilty, shall be dealt with appropriately.
- Students shall keep silence and decorum in the classroom and corridors.
- Students are not allowed to enter the teacher’s cabin without permission or in the absence of any teacher.
- Students shall be responsible for the safe custody of their belongings.
- Misconduct from the student’s part in spite of repeated warnings will call for disciplinary action.
- Students are expected to bring diary everyday to college and in clinics.
- Students shall not see visitors in the college campus.
- Periodic written examination will be conducted throughout the year (minimum 3).
- Marks of evaluation by other methods like assignments, seminars, projects, OSCE etc. will be added to the internal marks.
- Continuous periodical evaluation during the clinical area is considered for the internal marks.
- Marks of evaluation by other methods like assignments, care study, clinical presentation, planned health teaching programme and drug file will be added to the internal marks.
- Minimum pass marks shall be 50% in each of the theory and practical papers separately for internal examinations.
- A candidate must have minimum 80% attendance in both theory and practical separately in each subject for appearing the university examinations.
- A candidate must have 100% attendance in each of the practical areas before award of degree.
Students shall seek prior permission of the principal:
- To go out of the campus during college hours; gate pass has to be obtained from the principal.
- To conduct meetings in the college buildings or anywhere in the college premises.
- To put up posters, banners or boards and to use megaphone or loudspeaker in the campus
- Students who do not adhere to the rules will not be permitted to attend the class.
- Serious misconduct will result in removal from the rolls.
Leave of Absence
- Students are not permitted to avail long leave of absence during college days
- If a student needs to avail of leave due to any emergency, a leave application should be submitted to the principal, clearly stating the reason for the leave of absence prior to the leave through proper channel.
- If a student is ill, it should be informed to the college Principal and class co-coordinator.
- If a student is absent for more than 3 days, due to any illness, a medical certificate should be submitted along with leave letter.
- The leave letter should be written by the parents.
- No leave will be sanctioned during the Sessional exams unless emergency.
Rules and Regulations of Hostel
- All students in the hostel shall be under the direct care and supervision of the warden who is responsible to the principal of the college.
- The students are expected to keep the living rooms and the hostel premises clean always.
- Fans and lights should be put off before leaving the rooms.
- The warden may check the rooms and cupboards of the residents at any time without any prior notice.
- Mobile phones are strictly prohibited.
- Smoking, Use of alcohol, and other anti-social behaviors are strictly forbidden in the hostel premises.
- Ragging in all its forms is banned.
- Any student found guilty of ragging will be suspended and or dismissed at the discretion of the management.
- By 11 pm all the lights should be put off and everyone should be in her bed.
Code of conduct for Nonteaching staff
- The Superintendent shall be in-charge of the College office and shall be personally responsible for the smooth conduct and working.
- He shall inspect the attendance register of the non-teaching staff and take such action as he may deem fit in case of habitual late comers or those who habitually remain absent, by issuing warnings.
- It shall be the duty of the Superintendent to maintain cordial public relations and to attend to the queries of the members of the public and students and supply information through the Principal to Government authorities as per requirements.
- He shall carry out the duties and responsibilities in a just manner without any discrimination and motivate his staff to take their work seriously and willingly
- He shall be responsible for the work of a highly confidential nature that may be under taken by the section.
- He shall be responsible for preserving of the documents, etc. concerning his section.
- He shall exercise a check on and follow up of letters received from the Government, Universityand management.
- The Superintendent shall be responsible of examination work pertaining to the College and help in the overall supervision of the principal
- He shall prepare and present budget estimates, with the help of Heads of Departments in the College.
- Prepare the budget and income and expenditure statements, maintain all accounts and get them audited.
- The accountant shall inform periodically the financial position of the College to the management of the College and examine and ensure that the code and financial norms are followed by the section or department
- He shall be responsible for the proper implementation of the financial transactions as per rules, Accounts Code, Statutes, Rules and Regulations made in that behalf and monitor the finances of the College as per directions of the management.
- He shall scrutinize all bills of expenditure before recommending payment, and maintain the cash-book, ledger and bank pass-books
- She/he shall exercise constant vigilance on expenditure, quantitative disposal of work, safety of the records and furniture.
- He shall submit drafts for approval of the authorities through the principal.
- The salary bills of all staff members are to be prepared and sent to the financeoffice, get approval from the management andsubmit to the finance section.
- The accounts connected with employee Provident fund of Teaching and Nonteaching staff is to be prepared and sent to the concerned office.
- The PF Register is maintained.
- Guest Lecturers’ salary is to be calculated and disbursed from the office.
- Allowances and other claims are disbursed from the office.
Lower Division Clerk
- Should maintain the muster and leave records of all employees of the institution.
- Should maintain all document files.
- Should distribute and collect admission forms
- Should distribute ID Cards to students and staff.
- Should ensure the eligibility of the students and prepare related documents to submit them to Kerala University of Health Sciences within prescribed time limit.
- Submit the student eligibility and other required documents to university as well as various regulatory authorities.
- Should take additional responsibilities if required as assigned by Principal
- Provide all necessary student data to prepare various committeereports
Code of conduct for Office attendantand class IV employees
- Office attender should report the college on time.
- Office attender should maintain cleanliness of office, classes, conference room, auditorium, computer lab and staff rooms
- Office attender should do all the work assign by the principal and office superintendent.
- Always carry ID Card and wear proper uniform
- Office attender shall not get involved in any anti social habits
- Notify the repairs and maintenance of college and premises.
Staff leave policy of SJCON
General conditions applicable to all types of leave:
- Leave shall be applied in the prescribed format and leave address and contact numbers should be furnished clearly.
- Leave form should be submitted to the principal along with the signature of the HOD on the previous day before 12 noon.
- Leave calculation based on academic year starts from 1st of August and ends by July 31st for educational institutions and for all others based on calendar year starts from January 1st band ends by December 31st.
- Half day leave is allowed
- Management will have the right to require any employee to work on any employee to work on any holiday due to exigencies of work and compensatory Holiday will be provided.
Casual Leave (CL)
- Regular employees are eligible for 12 days Casual leave in a year (ie, One day per completed month)
- Casual leave cannot be taken more than 2 days at a timecontinuously. If anyone needs more than two, needs to get Director’s approval
- Application for casual leave shall be submitted well in advance except unforeseen circumstances.
- Casual leave cannot be combined with any other leave and cannot be accumulated.
Sick Leave (SL)
- Regular employees are eligible for 12 days sick leave inan academic year except ESI contribution paying employees.
- Those who have ESI can take ESI leave with the approval of ESI doctor /officer and those approved documents should be submitted in HR Department through proper channel on time.
- Those who don’t have ESI must get approval from concerned authorities.
- Application for sick leave shall be submitted in writing specifying nature of sickness within a reasonably possible time.
- In case of sudden sickness messages should be conveyed to the controlling authority and followed by written application.
- Application for sick leave of 2 days and more shall be accompanied by medical certificate Fitness certificate should be produced while rejoining after leave.
Annual leave (AL)
- Every regular employee after 12 months of continuous service will be eligible for annual leave of 12 days in a year.
- 12 days AL is recommended to avail only on during students’ vaccination days like Onam, Christmas and Easter.
- Balance days after deducting AL from vacations may be given as holidays at the discretion of the management from time to time.
- Exgracious holidays are not applicable to Tutors and non -teaching staff.
- An employee who does not complete one-year continuous service is not eligible for annual leave.
- Application for annual leave shall be submitted in advance in the prescribed format and availed only after obtaining sanction.
- Employees, before proceeding on leave shall ensure written sanction of the leave.
- Absenting without getting prior sanction of leave will be treated as unauthorized absence which constitutes misconduct.
- Employees shall hand over charge to the authorized person before proceeding on leave
- Annual leave cannot be availed for less than 5 continuous days at a time
- Management will have the right to refuse leave and also to recall any employee from leave in case of emergencies of work.
- Extension of leave will not be allowed except in extra ordinary case at the discretion of the management.
- Application for extension of leave shall also be submitted in advance and prior sanction obtained.
Maternity Leave (ML)
- A regular woman employee may avail 26 weeks as maternity leave
On duty leave
- Examination:B.Sc. Nursing faculties will get 3 days on duty leave per subject and PB B.Sc. faculties will get 2 days per subject in an academic year.
- Practical examination:B.Sc. Nursing faculties will get 4 days and B.Sc. faculties 2 days on duty leave per subject practical in an academic year
- A regular teaching staff must compulsorily attend minimum 1 seminar and maximum 3 Seminars and also one paper presentation and one paper publication in a Journal National /International in an academic year.