St.James’ College of Nursing Students Union(KUHS)
The objectives of the students union are,
- To train the students of the college in the duties, responsibilities and rights of citizenship
- To promote opportunities for the development of character leadership, efficiency,knowledge and spirit of service among the students.
- To organize debates, seminars, work squad, torus and similar other activities
- To encourage sports, arts and other cultural, educational and recreational activities that are incidental and conductive to the above objectives
- To work for the general welfare of the college and to support every activities proposed by College or University like Student Support and Guidance Programme.
Student Nurses Association(SNA)
Student Nurses’ Association was started in the year 1929 mentors the professional development of future registered nurses and facilitates their entrance into the profession by providing educational resources, leadership opportunities, and career guidance. The SNA provides educational programs, communicates issues and concerns relevant to nursing, encourages participation in health-related activities and promotes legislative involvement of the nursing student. The SNA aids in the development of the whole person, his/her professional role and responsibility for healthcare of people in all walks of life.
Student Nurses Association is a valuable resource that provides nursing students an opportunity to network and connect with fellow nursing students for advice and support. Through SNA students are getting an opportunity to present various programs of interest in healthcare. It is a community of nursing students working together to navigate the complex and challenging curriculum of nursing program. It works for personal, intellectual, professional and social growth of its members.
The purposes of this organization are:
- To promote awareness and involvement in nursing.
- To support the education of the student nurse as a professional.
- To provide education concerning contemporary health problems on campus and in the community.
- To act as a liaison between nursing faculty and nursing students.
- To play an active role within the student government.
SNA unit of St.James’ College of Nursing, organizes and conducts all the activities of the college like Annual sports and cultural meet, college day, educational programs, nurse’s day and various festivals.Students are also motivated to participate in various zonal, intercollegiate and state level competitions and celebrate all national health days. SNA raises funds through annual subscription and also through refreshments during sports and cultural meet.
The SNA activities for the academic year 2020-2021 of our college was initiated on 01/09/2020 under the leadership of SNA advisor, Sr.Jyothi Grace, Lecturer , department of Community Health Nursing and the co-advisors Ms.Indhu Rockey , lecturer, Child Health Nursing, Ms. Soumya George, Lecturer, Child Health Nursing and Ms.Liya paul ,Tutor ,Foundation of nursing.
National service scheme(NSS)
National service scheme (NSS) was started to establish a meaningful linkage between the campus and the community. The NSS unit of St James College of nursing was started on October 2017. A total of 50 students of II BSc 2016 batch was enrolled in the first unit. Every year 100 students are enrolled in NSS. The NSS unit of St James College of nursing conducts health awareness programmes, announcement rally’s, campus cleaning, outreach programmes and important day celebrations.
Current NSS Programme Officer: Mrs.Manju John,Assistant Professor,Medical Surgical Nursing Department
Activities of NSS are,
- Plan the NSS regular activities and special camp.
- Ensure that NSS volunteers complete the prescribed hours.24 hrs orientation.
- Divide into different groups for project.
- Supervise the work of NSS volunteers.
- Maintain necessary records and register.
- Will be responsible for the equipment and stores.
- Spend funds as per financial rules.
- Will submit the records in time.